Song Of The Day 4/29/2013: Dir en Grey - "ディル アン グレイ(Clever Sleazoid)"

First of all, I have no idea whether the katakana translation in the title is correct. It may be entirely inaccurate. There is no real English word "sleazoid," for example. My laptop keeps wanting to autocorrect it. If I've pissed off any Japanese language majors, then it's fault of whoever uploaded the thing to YouTube. My ignorance is much more ordinary.

But anyway, it's Metal Week Day 4. Dir En Grey are from Japan, a country that's given us metal from the mousse-dependent Loudness to the unbelievably awe-inspiring Flower Travellin' Band. I am wondering if their name is an intentional corruption of Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray, or if I'm just reading too much into that. Kyo is one of the more combustible singers I've come across lately. This video also contains very helpful subtitles, including the misspelled "think, you moran." So that one Tea Partier might have a Japanese spirit companion he's never known about. Bringing us together through metal.


Comments