Song Of The Day 7/24/2013: Elvis Costello & The Roots - "Walk Us Uptown"

I'm taking the rare step of putting a semi-high-profile new single up here as Song Of The Day, because this is my favorite Elvis Costello record since... probably since "45." Maybe even before that. The Costello/Roots collaboration makes total sense to me, since Costello and ?uestlove have the same, panoptic approach to music history (or whatever the audio equivalent to "panoptic" is... panaural?). Meaning they know everything about everything, and talk about it. That's the primary reason Elvis remains my biggest musical hero -- it has as much to do with the fact that he collaborates with Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint and did his genre-agnostic interview show Spectacle, as it does with my love of his music itself. Elvis Costello is the reason my Spotify playlist looks like a karaoke book in a parallel universe. The album is called Wake Up Ghost. It's coming in September. Man I'm glad we survived that Mayan apocalypse.

Comments