Song Of The Day 10/4/2013: The New York Dolls - "Dance Like A Monkey"

For reasons I don't want to get into, not the least of which being I'm under-prepared to engage in ecumenical discourse at this hour, I'm currently, um, dealing with a one-sided argument in re: creation vs. evolution. Well, I'm not really dealing with it -- I'm not in a position to because I'm (a) tired, (b) under professional obligation, and (c) the absolute last person you want to articulate matters of science. As far as I'm concerned the common cold is the Lutherans' fault, candy corn is God's way of proving that unicorns exist in his plane, and the Washington Monument was built by child actors in the 1800's. When it comes to explaining magnets, I just let Insane Clown Posse do that. Some things you leave to the master dialecticians.

However, this gives me a great excuse to play my favorite of the New York Dolls' most recent songs, in which David Johansen tries (in vain, one supposes) to put the mack on a creationist sweetheart. The lyrics are exquisite, especially "Exorcise your demons with that monkey grin/'Cause we're gonna inherit the wind!" You'll get that line once you get into high school drama club.

Comments