Song Of The Day 2/19/2014: The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy - "When Eno Sings"


This mock tribute -- or does Pat Fish really mean it? -- is the Jazz Butcher Conspiracy's sass-laden response to ABC's big hit "When Smokey Sings." ("When Smokey sings/I hear violins/When Smokey sings/I forget everything.") The joke being, of course, that Smokey Robinson, one of soul music's greatest architects, had an expressive, tearful, haunting voice, and that Brian Eno, well... let's say he made the most of what he got. Sample testimonials from "When Eno Sings": "Sometimes I see him waving from a tiny craft... I've fallen and I can't get up/I've fallen and I can't get up... Dome-heads everywhere can throw their hats into the air... It's a love thing/It's a feel thing/It's a drug thing/It's a... thing."

Which reminds me of a musician joke I made up once that wasn't very effective nor funny, but for the record here it is: "Brian Eno walks into a bar and orders a beer. Bartender says, 'I'm sorry, the keg's out right now, and all I have is this can of Budweiser that's been open for a day.' Eno says, 'That's okay, I like it flat.'"

It killed at the Roxy Music convention.

Painting by Mark M. Mellon
(http://fineartamerica.com/featured/brian-eno-mark-m-mellon.html)

Comments