Song Of The Day 4/19/2014: Loudon Wainwright III - "Tip That Waitress"


It's Alive: It's back to the Loudon well for the end of live music week. This is his third Song Of The Day. There was also an interview with him. Remember back in the day when I used to do interviews? Man, those were some kick-ass handheld recorders I used to have. Anyway. I've seen Loudon Wainwright III in concert more than any other performer except Elvis Costello and Robyn Hitchcock. Throw in his kids and there's another couple Wainwrights I've spent quality time with. "Tip That Waitress" is a song I tried at Cocktail Hell once; it just didn't have the same effect as when Loudon does it. A fairly obvious case of a song that doesn't exist well outside of its original performer. I've tried a lot of Loudon songs at shows, actually. "I'm Alright," "The Acid Song," "I Don't Think That Your Wife Likes Me." I think I tried "Unhappy Anniversary" once too. Anyway, the man's a genius in a live setting, and you should take him in whenever he traipses through your community. And also take care of the wait staff, if you haven't yet been so admonished.

We're going to try an experiment with the next theme week, starting Sunday. It might blow up in our faces. I mean my face, geez. I keep deluding myself that I have administrative assistants here. Anyway.


Comments