Song Of The Day 2/12/2016: Dwight Yoakam – “Train in Vain”

Quarterly Covers Report – I wrote a quick blurb on The Clash's "Train in Vain (Stand By Me)" the other day for an article on Treble about 10 essential breakup songs. I'm not sure I made my case ("so conventionally appealing that it was in complete opposition to the rest of London Calling"), but they went with it anyway. Despite being the most musically versatile punk band of their time I never really heard The Clash dip their feet into country music. The closest was when Joe Strummer duetted with Johnny Cash on a not-perfect version of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song." Dwight Yoakam, who always seemed very willing to look outside Nashville for something to do, took care of "Train In Vain" on his 1997 album Under the Covers. This set also contained a curious big-band rendition of the Kinks' "Tired of Waiting for You," the recording of which I believe was predicated on Dwight's desire to do something like Louis Prima. You never can tell, really. Anyway, his modulated version of "Train in Vain" is a little more successful. I like it even more than I probably should because that's living national treasure Ralph Stanley handling the banjo and harmony vocals.