Song Of The Day 8/12/2016: Fred Panopio – “Kawawang Cowboy”

Quarterly Covers Report – It was at that point -- the point when I had to come up with a blurb for Filipino singer Fred Panopio's cover of "Rhinestone Cowboy" -- when I realized how aimless my inner life had become.

Not to knock on Panopio or his cover of the Glen Campbell hit at all. It's fine. That's got nothing to do with it. What got me, though, was that I have to say something about it. Simply because a few weeks ago when I was planning ahead and tossed this up on the calendar as Song Of The Day for August 12, 2016, I apparently believed I was going to come up with something witty and erudite to say about it. Then that moment of truth finally came, as I was working on something a little grander in scope, and I realized this was what I picked for SOTD today, and I thought... what the hell am I gonna say? It's a Filipino cover of "Rhinestone Cowboy."

So why did I pick it? Was it unusual? Did I think it would inspire some kind of research on my part? Or did I just think it would be something great to have a laugh about? And where did that laughter come from? The juxtaposition of a representative of another culture half a world away doing a prototypical 'Murican song in his native language? If so, what does that say about me and my motives? Or am I just giving up? Is that it?

Is there any way out of this randomness besides doing the kind of self-referential post that I find so annoying when other people do it? I guess not.

Here's your Song Of The Day. It's a Filipino man doing a version of "Rhinestone Cowboy." I'll be getting acupuncture if you have any feedback.