Song Of The Day 8/29/2016: Marshall Crenshaw – “You’re My Favorite Waste of Time”

Still on vacation. In fact in real time it's just sixty seconds after I finished yesterday's post. I totally went kayaking, you guys! Heh. Heh-heh-heh.

I can't believe I've never featured anything by Marshall Crenshaw here, considering his eponymous 1982 album was probably the best power-pop debut album since Big Star's #1 Record. This is the one that contained his most significant hit single "Someday, Someway,"which you can actually find in many karaoke books, believe it or not. "You're My Favorite Waste of Time," despite never having been on any of his official releases, is one of his most-covered songs. Bette Midler did a nice version of it, as did The Bellamy Brothers and a bunch of other country artists. Crenshaw played the ill-fated Buddy Holly in the movie La Bamba, and has been working on a Kickstarted documentary on legendary producer Tom Wilson. I'm not sure if it still needs help but it needs to be seen.

All right, now that I'm done with the kayaking, I'm going to hike the Mount Finlayson Trail wearing nothing but a bikini. That's not a metaphor. Will send heat maps.